I suppose I guess you could say you pay to play when it comes to bleeding edge of hardware and/or software... and Googles latest offering - the Nexus One phone is no exception.
It took a good month of bugging my wife, and trying to justify why I should cancel my existing att plan and change over to t-mobile. Eventually she gave in and was really quite supportive of the whole thing. I received my phone next day which was exceptional... but all was not what it seemed.
I noticed the keyboard took a lot more effort to type on... not that the buttons were too small, but it seemed unless you put your finger at exactly the center of each key and barely tapped, you'd get literally random results. In my case... I'd sometimes hit t and get a space, sometimes I'd tap the url window at the top of the browser and launch stuff at the bottom of the screen, sometimes in writing an email, I'd hit space and it'd abandon the email.
I've worked around electronics enough to know to restart it and try again, and I did... and sure enough the keyboard was flawless.... well for about an hour. After looking up information about the problem, it became immediately apparent that its a huge problem, and that TONS of people are experiencing the same thing. For me, the problem seems to have gotten worse in the sense the time after reboot/softreboot/lock and unlock has gone down to like 5min.
I contacted support simply asking if they knew if a fix was in the works, or if they thought it was hardware or what (not wanting to wait too long, end up with my grace period going away and being stuck with a 500 brick.). The customer service person was very professional and courteous but acted as if she'd never even heard of the problem and assured that nobody else was having such problems.
I'm not questioning her knowledge on the subject, but several people have pleaded with google, and have been through 5 replacements and still have the same problems, and google hasnt actually officially stated it was a problem.
So when did it become ok to just ignore problems? Not say they are looking at it, not say they have a fix underway, not say they have it reproduced and are working on a fix. I work in the software industry and know how that can go (never quote a deadline, if there are any wildcards). I have a premium phone that cant do the simplest things.
Welcome to business 2.0
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment